2.1. Preposition “By”
There are 8 posible ways to use the proposition “by”:
Click on the buttons to display the information.
Beside, at the side of, next to, close to.
- The house is by a river.
- David lives by a train station.
- I would love to live in a house by the sea.
How you travel somewhere.
- David went to Manchester by train.
- I go to work by car.
- My parents often go to France by boat.
How you communicate with someone.
- I spoke to her by telephone.
- I will send you the invoice by post.
- Please confirm the order by email.
How you pay for something.
- We paid for the computer by cheque.
- Can I pay by credit card?
In the passive voice, indicates WHO is doing the action.
- The kitchen is being cleaned by David.
- The book was written by Sarah}
- The concert was organised by our school.
Means to do something alone.
- I enjoy reading by myself.
- Sarah is studying by herself.
- Let’s do something by ourselves.
How to do something.
- You can turn on the radio by pressing that button.
Not later than; before or at a particular time.
- Guests must vacate their hotel rooms by 11 am.
- Please send us the payment by tomorrow.
- Students must enrol by the end of June.